Last Week of School
- 100% of 7th grade students have decided to continue band in 8th grade! This is OUTSTANDING and a testament to the amazing support of our band families and the hard work and dedication from our band students. THANK YOU for trusting us to continue giving your child the very best possible experience through a commitment to making excellent music with a unique community that can only be found through an organization such as band!
- Honors Band wins first EVER National Winner title for the Mark of Excellence / National Windband Honors.
- 55 Members accepted into All-Region Band, with 6 members winning first chair and 30 members earning spots in the top band. (More than all of the other schools combined!)
- Both Honors and Symphonic Band earned Sweepstakes Awards at UIL C&SR - making 7 consecutive years of Sweepstakes Awards for both bands.
- Beginning Band brings home Division 1 ratings from the first beginning band contest in 3 years.
- Both Honors and Symphonic Band receive Division 1 ratings at North Texas Festival of Distinction.
- 153 total students earn Division 1 ratings at Solo Contest, with 40 students earning Outstanding Performance Awards.
- 18 ensembles earned Division 1 ratings at Ensemble Contest. 5 groups earned Outstanding Performance Awards.
GREAT work this year by ALL of our band students! We are so excited to see the tremendous musical growth made by our students, and can't wait to watch the momentum continue next year!
For Current 8th Graders Only:
All of the following events will take place at HPHS (for current 8th grade students). Information will be sent by Mr. Guidry as the events get closer. Please mark your calendars now!
May 31-June 2 - Mini Camp
June 2 - Parent Preview Performance @ 7 PM - Highlander Stadium
Summer Band – starts July 25
For all high school questions, please email a high school director:
Mr. Guidry - email@example.com
Mr. Gordon - Gordonr@hpisd.org
Mr. Reberger - Rebergd@hpisd.org (Percussion-specific questions)
Mr. Martinez - firstname.lastname@example.org (Color Guard specific questions)
2022 HP Honors Band
2022 HP Symphonic Band
In order to continue enjoying the tremendous successes experienced by the band program this year, the students should continue practicing and taking lessons over the summer. Summer is a great time to peruse a music store for some fun music to learn over the summer, and the summer is also a wonderful time to get started on a book of etudes in private lessons if your child has not already started working from an etude book. (An etude is simply a musical study). Pender's Music Co is a major music supplier to programs across the country, and they are conveniently located in Denton! Additionally, summer is a great time to perfect the All-Region scales and start pushing for the remaining 5 scales, nail down the chromatic scale, and learn arpeggios!
Linked below is a great place to start working on the 12 full-range major scales.
SUMMER INSTRUMENT INFO
IF YOUR CHILD PLAYS OBOE, BASSOON, BASS CLARINET, TENOR/BARI SAX, HORN, EUPHONIUM, OR TUBA:
- 7th grade students will receive a summer instrument sometime this week.
- 8th grade students should receive a summer instrument during mini camp next week. (May 31-June 2)
Families are responsible for any necessary repairs during the summer months. If your child's instrument breaks over the summer, please take it to the Brook Mays location off LBJ.
Students who use personal instruments should KEEP the instrument! Summer is a great time for an annual "check up" (maintenance) and a great time to stock up on extra supplies! For annual maintenance on your instrument, please reach out to Brook Mays (or Carolyn Nussbaum for flute players who have upgraded to professional instruments) to set up an appointment.
2022-2023 Band Calendar Release
Proposed Calendar Dates
Please see below for the proposed 2022-2023 Calendar dates. While every effort will be made to keep the dates shared below, please note that the calendar is subject to change as state, Region 20, and HPISD dates continue to be solidified throughout the summer. The official 2022-2023 band calendar will be shared as part of the 2022 Back-to-School Band Registration in August.
Summer Camp Opportunities
If your young musician is looking for something fun and musical to do this summer, there are many wonderful musical opportunities available! Summer music camps are a great way to encourage your child to continue practicing, make lifelong friends, make lasting memories, and stay busy during those long summer days. Linked below is a list of many popular opportunities, from summer band camps to instrument-specific camps, with commuter or residential options also available for many! Information such as dates, prices, any applicable audition information, and direct links to each camp's website is included to make it easy to compare!
Private Lessons Enrollment
HOW MUCH ARE PRIVATE LESSONS?
The Highland Park ISD Private Lesson rate for the 2021-2022 school year will increase to $25/half hour or half class lesson starting September 1.
WHO CAN TAKE PRIVATE LESSONS?
All band students are invited and encouraged to take private lessons! Lessons are a vital key to the success of the HP Raider Band program. For more information, visit hpraiderband.org/lessons.